Wilco just released their 10th studio album, ‘Schmilco.’ But is Jeff Tweedy & Co.’s alt-country revival something to scoff at? Watch our review to find out.
New album reviews every Tuesday!
• Wilco turns down and tunes into the nostalgia of growing up
• Wilco somewhere between Yankee Hotel Foxtrot and A Ghost Is Born
• Acoustic album, but not slow, making it an exceptionally strong acoustic album
• Great lyrics – very reflective and contemplative and honest, but still with plenty of teeth – Happiness, We Aren’t the World (Safety Girl)
• Innovation/experimentation versus restrained acoustic sound
• Feels too restrained overall – we’re all for going in new directions, but some of these feel like they should open up more
• Almost sounds unfinished, like they meant to come back and flesh these songs out more (Common Sense, Quarters)
Wilco — Schmilco — Album Review
Episode #258 — Published 9/15/16
Last Week’s Album